Master Model Railroader

"An NMRA member qualifies as a Master Model Railroader when he or she has obtained at least seven of the eleven Achievement Certificates provided that he or she has earned at least one Achievement Certificate in each of the four areas of the Regulations. Earning the title of Master Model Railroader is the ultimate goal for many participants in the Achievement Program."

Tuesday, October 6, 2026

The Journey continues

On July 27, 2026, the Board of Directors of the NMRA approved a new certificate in the Achievement Program - Master Builder Modular Railroading.

Modular modeling has grown in popularity during the last years. People are building single or several modules and bring them to meetings and connect with other builders to set-up a large layout, that they operate. These layouts are changing with every meeting as the participating members change.

A module is a small part of a layout containing tracks, subroadbed, scenery, structures, electrics etc. Basically the same components as a layout.

So, modules are a natural candidate for a separate certificate in model railroading.

I am building and operating modules since 1994, when I joined the European FREMO. This modular association covers all scales and prototypes from narrow gauge to large scale, european and american outlines. The American prototype modular group formed in the early 1980's already, so when I joined, they were well established, with members in Germany, the Netherlands and France. 

I participated in the FREMO-US meetings in Unna, Germany at least once a year. Since my retirement in 2022, I decided to attend as much FREMO-US meetings as I could. New modules needed to be built. My interests had shifted from mainline to industrial settings, like Lance Mindheim does. 

My new industry modules are ready since three years, so I believe that I cover most of the requirements.

To meet the 24 scale feet minimum, I need to enter at least four of my new modules. These are:

HERMOSA BEACH

It depicts a fictional setting of Hermosa Beach, although the depot was built from original drawings. For operational purposes, I added a packing house based on the H.M. Young packing house in Lodi, CA., which in turn was on the SP and not on the ATSF. In fact, I wanted to place my scratchbuilt depot on the module instead of letting it sit on a shelf.


The module consists of three segments, a straight segment containing the depot, packing house, grade crossing and orchard. The two curved segments feature the turnout for the house track and the other segment a small creek with a plate girder bridge. The module is built following the older Valley profile.

ALANTOWN INDUSTRIAL PARK

This module has three straight segments and may also be used as a stand-alone switching layout to take out to shows. It features five industry spots with one run-around track.


The turnouts are powered by DCC Concepts Cobalt iP Digital switch motors, with LED indicators on the fascia. I also added a couple of features to slow operation down, Mindheim style. Two gates are manually operated with a small crank and the grade crossing is protected by fusees, which have to be lit before an engine can cross.

This set of modules is built after the new FREMO Southwest Division FLAT35 standard. They are one 35 cm deep compared to the 50 cm of the Valley profile.

SUNKIST

I have a number of structure kits in my stash, that do not fit on my home layout, so I try to use them wereever I can on newer modules.

Having read a post on Facebook about the Exchange Citrus Plant in Corona, CA. This processing plant received citrus to extract juices, acids and other by-products. With such an industry, I finally could send my loads of orange culls from my packing houses. It would ship citric acids and juice concentrates in turn.

The second industry would be, of course, a Sunkist packing house. I had two Alpine Models kits lying around for a while.


The Exchange Citrus Plant is scratchbuilt and against the backdrop. The gates are lighted and under the canopy, a conveyor pit transfers the dumped culls to the inside of the building for processing.

AT JUNCTION

My fourth and newest module is a junction. These are desperately needed to move the traffic away from the mainline to the branch.


Again, I used some of my kitbashed and scratchbuilt structures. This module also has signals to route the traffic. I had the idea to build a small CTC panel to operate the signals. Three additional short signal modules also belong to the junction. 




The signals are mounted on an aluminum shaft, which is inserted into a slot in the baseboard. These are standard FREMO signal mounts and they can be removed for transport.

The CTS panel knobs are from Rix Products with rotary switches underneath.

Paperwork is finished. Documetation for Alantown Industrial Park and Hermosa Beach modules was sent to the Region for distant evaluation.

Sunkist and AT Junction will be judged at this year's BR Convention in Cookham end of October 2026.

Fingers crossed. 





No comments:

Post a Comment