Master Model Railroader

"An NMRA member qualifies as a Master Model Railroader when he or she has obtained at least seven of the eleven Achievement Certificates provided that he or she has earned at least one Achievement Certificate in each of the four areas of the Regulations. Earning the title of Master Model Railroader is the ultimate goal for many participants in the Achievement Program."

Friday, September 13, 2013

Structure Models 8 - 12

The following models did not win a Merit Award, but they were essential for the diversity in models that are required. Some were also build to go on my home layout or on modules. On some I also tried new techniques like cnc- and lasercutting.

ATSF Concrete Bunkhouse in Summit, California (Cajon Pass)



Styrene construction with Grandt Line Doors and windows, no interior. (78 points)

***

ATSF Mission style depot in San Juan Capistrano, California

This depot was my first attempt in lasercutting. I laminated brick sheet to the plain wood walls.
I shaped the cupola from a chunk of balsa wood, and also created the decals myself.



I did not weather the model and that cost me some point in the finish category. (79 points)
The depot will be placed on my homelayout depicting the Santa Fe Surf Line from LA to San Diego.

ATSF Freight House San Juan Capistrano, California

The prototype still stands, together with the depot, and is part of Sarducci's restaurant today.


Straight forward construction from wood sheet and strip wood. I applied a light weathering.



This is a relatively simple model, so it received the lowest score. (58 points)


ATSF Depot in Hermosa Beach, California

 Unfortunately this depot was demolished in 1968 and today there are no tracks any more.


This was my second try at lasercutting. An interior will be installed later


I've build the porch from bits of stripwood and cardstock covered with spanish tile plastic sheet.



The platform was scratchbuild using strip wood. I covered the depot walls with putty to simulate stucco.




This relatively simple depot will be the centerpiece of my Hermosa Beach module.
It scored only 67 points.

ATSF Standard Section House

This tiny shed was completely build up using Evergreen styrene, as you can see.



I even included an interior with workbench and tool racks


and placed it on a diorama base with handcar and track workers.



Nevertheless it scored only with 79 points.

These models were build in between of the first 7 that earned Merit Awards. They are listed here to document the different types of structures I have build to meet the requirements.

Although YOU don't have to get ALL models judged, I did it. I had to write model descriptions anyway, so why not present them to the judges. At least I learned what made the actual scores and tried to improve the next models using the advice given by the judges.















No comments:

Post a Comment